Traveling: Dusseldorf Germany



Two years ago today I hopped aboard my very first international flight and headed to Germany. I had no idea my feet landing on international soil would change me so much.

This was my first trip without my family, it was a business trip with my coworkers to celebrate our company's 50th anniversary party and to attend Tube.

I remember when my boss told us we were staying at Melia Dusseldorf I drooled over the park views. When we arrived to the hotel... I had a park view!!!! It was so magical!


Our first meal was at a little family owned Italian restaurant right next door to the hotel. Let me tell you, that was the best Italian food I have had in my entire life! The open layout made it pretty great to be able to watch the family work in the kitchen. Ugh. Now I'm drooling.


My sparking water obsession, originated in Germany. The Munich airport to be exact. I couldn't stand it before. Everywhere we went if you ordered water, sparking water is what you received. Actually, "water with gas".


Annnnnnnnnnddddd Currywurst, fries, and mayo. Oh how I long to have this again. I could eat it every day for every meal. I haven't found a place here in Houston that comes close to reproducing the taste and it gives me all the sads.


I learned how to drink and/or developed a taste for beer while I was in Germany. They began by handing me a dark beer mixed with coke. Now, I can drink almost any beer you hand me. Yay?


At the end of the trip we visited the Rheinturm (Rhine Tower) and strolled along the Rhine River.


During my stay there I had to keep pinching myself. How was this my life?! I was actually in another country. I was seeing things I had only dreamed of! I was with my colleagues from every office all over the world? I was surviving in another country that I didn't speak the language and yet, everyone was so nice and helpful!


It was here that I learned although I was a small town girl, an only child born into a strict Catholic Mexican-American family that, yes, the world is a big place, but it is not scary. It's a wonderful place to explore, learn, and grow.

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

xo
Celia



You Might Also Like

0 comments