Al-Anon


I mentioned in my "About Me" that we would talk about the hard stuff. Here's a subject that many are afraid, ashamed, and embarrassed of. This definitely qualifies as hard stuff.

First. What is Al-Anon? It's a safe place that offers help, hope & healing for friends and family of alcoholics.

I know what you're probably wondering. Ok, but why are you talking about this Cel? . I'm glad you asked. My therapist had recommended I attend and educate myself because my first relationship after my divorce, #CarGuy,  was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict who was drinking & using again but wasn't working any type of program. Although he was very open with me about his past I didn't notice the red flags. I was oblivious to just how serious addiction is and/or how to handle it. Then, the next guy I dated... alcoholic. & after educating myself a little bit we discovered that my ex-husband's Dad was an alcoholic that I lived with for nearly two years.

She felt I needed to attend meetings as a way to heal from living with an alcoholic for a while, as well as, to know how to handle situations in the future. Dating someone with this disease is a roller-coaster, one minute everything is great the next you're running into a brick wall they've put up because they may be in their dark place bingeing.

I've read a lot from the website and from those who are in recovery themselves. It has been really helpful. I was going to attend my first face-to-face meeting last Tuesday evening, but I got really scared. I discovered they have virtual meetings that you can either Skype or call into. This was perfect.

I called in Tuesday night and as the session started immediately started crying. I cried the entire call. Some shares I related to a bit, others scared me. At the beginning and the end of the call everyone recited the Serenity Prayer together and it was beautiful. It also reminded me of one session when I was with my therapist and she said (knowing I hadn't quite found my way back to my faith and in that moment I was questioning it hard) "Remember. God is always with you."

I called into a Newcomers meeting the next day & this one felt a little more like home. There were Newcomers like myself, but there were also veterans on the line to help guide the call and answer questions at the end.

If you have an alcoholic in your life, I encourage you to either attend a face-to-face meeting, or a virtual meeting. They're SO helpful! They recommend you attend 6 meetings to get a feel for them and to figure out which group is best for you.

xo,
Celia

You Might Also Like

0 comments